[thelist] godaddy's business solutions

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Thu May 28 15:13:25 CDT 2009

Alexander Freiria wrote:
> I'm using goDaddy for my personal site and noticed that they don't
> support certain libraries in .NET. It did not support the newer
> verision of the library System.Mail I had to degrade to the older .NET
> library to get email to work...
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Jon Molesa <rjmolesa at consoltec.net
> <mailto:rjmolesa at consoltec.net>> wrote:
>
>     I too prefer to stay away from hosted solutions.  They are often very
>     rigid environments.  A few people I know use GoDaddy and love them.
>     Personally, I've had issues when dealing with client's GoD's accounts.
>     They usually have them prior to coming to me.  Most prefer it because
>     it's easy and it works.  I had 2 issues.  On the basic? plan the only
>     access I had to the client's files was through ftp.  The have tight
>     restrictions on these connections and I have been dropped while
>     working
>     over ftp.  Occasionally, my connection was dropped while
>     performing the
>     upload.  There were differences in the PHP environment on GoD and
>     mine.
>     All of these dropped connections made it frustrating to troubleshoot.
>     It also meant that I had to maintain 2 versions of certain files.
>      After
>     I convienced the client to upgrade to an account that had ssh access I
>     ran into issues getting the php scripts to successfully send email.  I
>     never did figure it out.  The same set up works fine on my local
>     system
>     and two remote servers that I manage.  I emailed their support to only
>     have been replied to with what looked like a cut-n-paste standard
>     response.  My first experience with shared hosting was back in
>     1999.  I
>     decided then that I never wanted to go through that again.  I have
>     managed to stay away from GoDaddy for my own needs.  All these years I
>     kept hearing good things about them, which made me curious if maybe
>     they're different.  After this experience, I'm reminded why I
>     don't like
>     those kinds of environments.  They're too constricting.  Too hard to
>     trouble shoot.  And too basic to do anything useful.  My
>     recommendation
>     is to find another host.  If price is a concern check
>     http://www.serverpronto.com/ out.  Then let me know what your
>     experience
>     is.  I've been looking at these guys for a while and want to try out a
>     dedicated package, but haven't been able to find good reviews yet.
>     Anyway, my two cent.

It's not hard to convince me - anytime you have to learn a new system
and develop an understand of their idiosyncrasies there is learning
curve involved.  I'm not inspired to learn new a new system for a
one-off.  Their checkout process for nothing more than a domain requires
google maps to navigate past the offers as well as an attorney to hum in
the background.

-Thx, Bob