[thelist] how do you manage/respond?

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Fri May 29 17:47:12 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> If as in this particular case you are assigned to work with someone
> whose job is to populate the cart (not the financially responsible
> party) who does not care nor understand the requirement process, all
> that you will hear is, "Why can't you do this? This program is
> inadequate, is dumb, you baffoon!"

Yeah, well. The 'data input' aspect of any new site, most particularly
an e-commerce one, needs to be strongly emphasized to customers.

The best approach IMHO is to provide an admin interface early on
and say "go to it"  :-)   If the customer wants to delegate that to some
friend, employee, brother-in-law, whatever -- great. Not My Problem.

OTOH, if the customer has an existing data source, even just a big
spreadsheet, I'm happy to populate from that; usually just a little bit
of tweaking required to import.

But make them understand up front -- it's *their* data, not yours. :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com