[thelist] Splitting payment from single transaction

Viggie viggie at viggie.com
Fri Jun 5 21:42:36 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I was into lurking mode for long.   The discussion on prodding clients
to send content was interesting and helped a lot.  I'm now looking for
an eluding solution and need your help.

Currently working on a web project which acts as a platform between
buyers & sellers.  Payment transaction has to go through the site, and
the payment mode is Paypal.   When a buyer pays, the amount needs to
reach sellers Paypal account while deducting a commission for site
owner's account.

The procedure seems natural and I feel there must be a way to handle
this.  But found only the 'mass pay' option in Paypal which seems to be
more suitable for a Website accumulating & sending payments to sellers
once a month.  Also, in 'mass pay' the sender bears the transaction fee
(apart from the paid amount), which goes against the normal online
purchase procedure.

Is there a way to split the payment from one payer to two recipients on
a single transaction?   If not Paypal, does Google Checkout have a
solution for this.  Any other alternatives?

Thanks in advance & looking forward to enlightening tips!

best regards,
Viggie