[thelist] still considering IE6?

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 19 16:28:03 CDT 2009

2009/6/19 Will <willthemoor at gmail.com>:
> for sure, target audience is key. But there's also a business decision to be
> made and it revolves around money: IE6 support is expensive.

...but many large organisations are tied into IE6 because that's what
they developed all their in-house intranet-based services on (e.g.
time recording, holiday booking, room booking, course booking,
telephone directory, skills matrices, personal development profiles,
defect tracking, CBT courses).

For them, the cost of moving away from IE6 is unjustifyably expensive
(some of these systems cost millions to develop).

This includes my day job, (we recently upgraded to XP, but remained on
IE6).  We (as web developers) can install other browsers, but some are
confused by the integrated windows authentication and so stick to IE
for the intranet.  And Web access is restricted to a remote
access/virtualisation solution where the only offering is... IE6!

We have some very large clients, as they are in a similar situation,
IE6 is often the target browser, even when the product is Internet
facing.  Will IE6 ever go away?  Dunno, but it'll be more popular than
IE7 soon.  Scary.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk