[thelist] SEO and domain names

April Lyall april at farstrider.org
Thu Jun 25 11:12:45 CDT 2009

If your blog ends up popular and gets dozens or hundreds of links, the
improvement you'd get from using http://example.com/blog over
http://blog.example.com/ is significant.  It doesn't help you get visitors
to your blog, but rather get visitors to
http://example.com/some-content-page/ especially when some-content-page is
new or targeted on a small niche.

At the company I work for, we went the http://blog.example.com/ route and
the first thing a new SEO consultant or employee says when they learn that
is "What??! oh no!" or something along those lines.  Of course, at this
point, our blog has more links than our main domain.