[thelist] SEO and domain names

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 05:51:59 CDT 2009

2009/6/25 April Lyall <april at farstrider.org>

> If your blog ends up popular and gets dozens or hundreds of links, the
> improvement you'd get from using http://example.com/blog over
> http://blog.example.com/ is significant.  It doesn't help you get visitors
> to your blog, but rather get visitors to
> http://example.com/some-content-page/ especially when some-content-page is
> new or targeted on a small niche.
>
> At the company I work for, we went the http://blog.example.com/ route and
> the first thing a new SEO consultant or employee says when they learn that
> is "What??! oh no!" or something along those lines.  Of course, at this
> point, our blog has more links than our main domain.

I understand.  The theory is that attraction to the blog also
influences ranking of non-blog pages through same-domain association.
Is that proven?  So the domain has an overall ranking that influences
ranking of its individual pages, sounds reasonable.

Does that mean using both www.example.com and just example.com can
dilute your ranking?  Or do these get automatically merged?  Also,
some sites use subdomains for load-balancing.

--
Lee
webdeavour.co.uk