[thelist] domain registration - general rule

Daniel Burke dan.p.burke at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:46:01 CDT 2009

In Australia (for .au domains at least), this is easy fixed. You say
"Give me the domain name or I'll take you to court have it given to
me, plus costs & loss of business". I think you can even go to the
registrar with your business certificate and ask nicely, and they'll
just do it for you.

Of course though, here until recently you needed to have a registered
business to get a .com.au, and it had to relate to your registered
business name (or one of your trade marks, that you actively protect).
It still stands that if you have a business, and someone has your
domain, you can take it easily.

Although we have very harsh anti-cyber squatting laws. For .com, you
have no legal recourse. All you can do is rely on your local laws,
hopefully you have a receipt stating that you purchased the domain
name, and are not renting or leasing it.

regards,

dan
--
"It's your privilege as an artist to inflict the pain of creativity on
yourself." --Programming Perl 3rd Edition, end of first chapter.