[thelist] photo copyrights

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 15:56:08 CDT 2009

Nan Harbison wrote:
> Evolters,
>
> I am about to do a website for a former US Olympic athlete. She wants to use
> several of the photos taken of her during the Olympics, and afterwards, like
> when Campbell Soup used a photo of her (and paid her for it). Another photo
> was in Life Magazine.
>
> So the question is - what about the copyrights on these photos? Since they
> are of her, does she have any rights to use them on her website for her
> business? Or does she have to track down the photographers, call Campbell
> Soup, etc. and get their permissions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nan

My understanding is that the photos are the property of the author by
default unless the rights are signed over to another.

If the photographer is freelance, he/she owns the copyright, if employed
then the employer owns it.

If your client could use the photos without permission that would mean
she either owned the copyright, in which case others would need to seek
her permission, or that they were public domain.

In any case, if you are unsure you should seek permission. If you don't
need it then that's a bonus.
--

Kind Regards

  Chris Price
  Choctaw

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk <mailto:chris.price at choctaw.co.uk>
www.choctaw.co.uk <http://www.choctaw.co.uk>

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 629 0227

Choctaw Media
Fertile Ground for Websites

Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/choctaw>
Catch up with me on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/spoonfulofdreams>

 >> Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd <<

Choctaw Media Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 04627649

Registered Office: Priory Close, St Mary's Gate,
Lancaster LA1 1XB, United Kingdom.