[thelist] CAPTCHA

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Fri Aug 7 11:14:35 CDT 2009

Barney Carroll wrote:
> reCAPTCHA often gives me grief — I often end up in the same situation as
> Stephen. And each time, I'm wondering why it is that these words have to be
> so obscurely distorted to evade automated recognition, yet I can't find any
> decent free OCR software to operate on screen caps.

I've been pleasantly surprised when I've been offered a series of
characters that form 2 real (if unconnected) words so that if I can't
make out one of the characters at least I can guess what it is.

I know you're not supposed to use real words for passwords but I can't
see that doing so in a captcha could pose any real threat.

We read words as pictures rather than spelling them out. Could spambots
attempt this?
--

Kind Regards

  Chris Price
  Choctaw

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk <mailto:chris.price at choctaw.co.uk>
www.choctaw.co.uk <http://www.choctaw.co.uk>

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 629 0227

Choctaw Media
Fertile Ground for Websites

Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/choctaw>
Catch up with me on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/spoonfulofdreams>

 >> Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd <<

Choctaw Media Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 04627649

Registered Office: Priory Close, St Mary's Gate,
Lancaster LA1 1XB, United Kingdom.