[thelist] FW: Link Rot

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 12 17:37:56 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 13:46 -0700, Joel Canfield wrote:
> My request is, don't make the magic URLs case sensitive, the way
> Bit.ly did.
> Yeah, you have to add a sixth character to get a billion instead of a
> million; people were just starting to get used to case insensitivity
> on the
> web and now they've taken a big step backwards.

The path portions of URLs *are* case sensitive according to the
specifications. The hostnames are not and never have been.

If people are getting used to case insensitivity, they are getting used
to error recovery behavior, and this *will* bite them sooner or later.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>