[thelist] window.opener.open opening new tab or pop-up

Chris Price chris.price at choctaw.co.uk
Fri Aug 14 18:17:07 CDT 2009

Norman Bunn wrote:
> http://174.132.88.71/~glennass/index.php
>
> When you open this link, there is a image in the upper right entitled
> "Navigation Wheel".  This launches a pop-up, that you should be able to
> click and cause the original window to change.  Instead it is creating a new
> tab or a new pop-up, so the more you click, the more windows you get.
>
> Any ideas on how do I get it to update the original window?
Not only does it create a new tab, once you've clicked the wheel in the
pop-up, the pop-up loses focus so it and the original window have
disappeared.

Pop-ups are irritating critters and I have taken to use other devices
wherever I can.

I would suggest using a combination of css and javascript. I would have
a div which is absolutely positioned but invisible when the page loads.
Then when you click on the wheel, that div appears with the pleasing
effect of the compass needle. You can include a query in the url which
tells the next page to make the div appear on-load so that its always
there until its no longer needed.

If you do it properly you can get rid of all the onclicks and javascript
calls in the code.

I was confused because there was no mouseover effect on the wheel on the
main page. You can give it a cursor: pointer style to do that.

I love the imagery but the mechanics are clumsy.

Just noticed you said you got the answer but would you consider an
unobtrusive javascript and css solution?

--

Kind Regards

  Chris Price
  Choctaw

chris.price at choctaw.co.uk <mailto:chris.price at choctaw.co.uk>
www.choctaw.co.uk <http://www.choctaw.co.uk>

Tel. 01524 825 245
Mob. 0777 629 0227

Choctaw Media
Fertile Ground for Websites

Follow me on Twitter <http://twitter.com/choctaw>
Catch up with me on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/spoonfulofdreams>

 >> Sent on behalf of Choctaw Media Ltd <<

Choctaw Media Limited is a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 04627649

Registered Office: Priory Close, St Mary's Gate,
Lancaster LA1 1XB, United Kingdom.