[thelist] general query about dedicated hosting

Joel Canfield joel at bizba6.com
Mon Aug 17 10:59:35 CDT 2009

howdy!
so, my search for "hosting I don't hate" continues. if I go with the
incredibly expensive option of dedicated hosting, does the hosting company
generally manage the server, whilst leaving me carte blanche as far as how I
use the space, or am I responsible for the server's software as well?

is there such a thing as dedicated hosting where they'll provide recommended
third party apps which they'll they support, so I can add a forum, blog,
whatever, but know it's not going to blow up in my face?

I'm looking for the dream world of complete freedom to use the server space
and access, but constrained by someone who knows more than me about
security, available tools, etc.

or maybe I'm looking for an admin to do it for me, and just let me do the
parts I'm good at.

still looking.

joel

--