[thelist] Blog URLs - single blog domain or multiple?

Gersten, John JGERSTEN at lchb.com
Thu Aug 20 00:43:12 CDT 2009

It's not that blogs are bad at all, quite the contrary. The concerns relate to possibly shooting ourselves in the collective digital foot vis a vis search engine friendliness/optimization and to potentially confusing some visitors.

Thus, the most prominent reason given was an advantage in having numerous natural links across multiple domains rather than running entirely amidst a single domain. Another argument was that since the blog sites by their nature tend to look very different from (and be more focused than) the corporate site, there would be less chance of confusing visitors since they'd be likely to see/think "different domain, sure, different look/feel makes sense."

We are considering subdomains, but the concern is that use thereof would entail the same perceived disadvantages as having everything on a single domain.