[thelist] asked to rebuild an eCommerce category/subcategory/product structure

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 22 08:45:20 CDT 2009

My client says to do exactly what the designer asks.

Background: I am using a template eCommerce system, am restyling it to
meet the objective which includes database/php customizations as to how
you navigate through the catagory/subcategory tree. The designer wishes
to keep the site very clean by reducing the number of products in view
when you get to the bottom level products listing page.

The example: Sub-category ABC has 25 products.  Rather than display the
25 products in a dynamically generated table of 3 or 4 columns across
and whatever number of rows needed, she wants me to use either one or
two product scrollers which will probably show about 4 thumbnails
horizontally with the scrolling mechanism.  Yes it will appear to look
cleaner.

Aside from the fact that this will take substantial time to create as
this is not how the software delivers the category/subcategory/product
tree, I would appreciate some usability feedback.

-Bob