[thelist] asked to rebuild an eCommerce category/subcategory/product structure

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Sep 22 12:54:04 CDT 2009

David Laakso wrote:
> ben morrison wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Hassan Schroeder
>> <hassan.schroeder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> So a items-per-page choice, e.g. [ 4 | 12 | all ] would be nice.
>>>
>>> Not that that's necessarily less work for you :-)
>>>
>>> OTOH, horizontal "scrolling" of 25 items in chunks of 4 means the
>>> user has to continually scroll back and forth to compare; I think you
>>> would need to provide a "page" locator at least, identifying the group
>>> currently in view, and letting the user jump directly to a given "page".
>>>

>> It does all sound a little messy, horizontal scrolling never nice.
>>

>> For sure!
>>
>> How about suggesting to build a simple prototype page to gauge interaction??
>>
>> Ben
>>

>> And provide an alternative:
>>
>> 4 divisions with 6 products each.
>> The first division always open.
>> Two, three, and four expand/collapse.

4 divisions always open - i thought about something like this when i set
up the product page where she wanted a scroller.  i set it up so that if
there are less than 4 items then it displays the pieces with no
scroller.  i could use the same if/else logic.  but anyway you cut the
mustard it's still less than perfectly user-friendly and cost-effective.

-just a worker bee today,
bob