[thelist] Help speccing new web server hardware

Chris Dempsey chris at gettheedgeonline.com
Wed Sep 23 05:47:16 CDT 2009

Hi All,

We're looking at getting a new dedicated box and I'm trying to get an
indication of whether the hardware suggested by the hosting company is
suitable and allows room for projected growth.  I would be taking a wild
guess myself so I'm hoping someone can take impart an educated opinion.

Server:
- Intel Core2Duo 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x 320GB HDD, RAID 1, - Unix
(FreeBSD), PHP, & MySQL, Mail

Websites:
- About 160 websites right now
- Almost all call the same database on each page load, no caching
- 400, 000 page views per month right now with 50gb of data transfer and
5gb of file space used
- Average of 3x POP3 accounts per domain each receiving 30x messages per
day

Potential Growth:
- Up to 10x websites added per month
- Potential to add another 100x websites immediately by taking over a
large hosting account from another developer

Is that enough information to suggest if the hardware noted above will
cope with the potential growth over say a two or three year period?

Thanks,

Chris