[thelist] pricing for web sites?

aardvark evolt at roselli.org
Wed Sep 23 11:01:07 CDT 2009

On 23 Sep 2009 at 9:42, Bob Meetin wrote:
> Something obvious that I missed - waiting on clients.  Ouch.
>
> You also have to consider how things work with clients who linger,
> professional procrastinators.  You may develop something great, takes 40
> hours, but you're in content limbo.  If you don't charge until the job
> is done, then some jobs may never finish, not because you didn't do your
> part.

bill as you go... then they are paying as you do the work... if you
charge an hourly rate then this becomes easy enough...

put a clause in your agreement that states that the client has a
responsibility to turn things around in a certain timeframe... if
it's content that you fear will take forever, then put a clause in
there giving them n days (30?) and state that if the client does not
provide it, the project closes and you revert to standard rates and
time & materials billing (you bill for what you do, regardless of a
project fee)... you may not get through the entire budget as part of
the project as a result, but you will still use the hours to launch
the site as support hours and end up fine... if anything, this allows
you to cover the spent ramping back up on a project after it's sat in
limbo for months...

in the end this protects you from clients that cannot get their
content in place...