[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 09:24:09 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Overall, I would suggest avoiding using whatever package manager
>> Ubuntu uses, and install everything directly: MySQL binary, Apache
>> and PHP from source. It'll take you a little longer but it'll be worth it
>> in the long run.
>
> In my experience the packages are OK for simple local testing. Unless
> you need something very specific...

My aversion to most package managers is primarily because of the
assumption you'll only ever have one version of something on your
system, and being dependent on the packager to make releases of
new versions available.

It's better to be able to install and test multiple versions of things in
parallel, and to be able to install the very latest release immediately
(particularly when it's a security bugfix). IMO.

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan