[thelist] Just moved from Vista to Ubuntu -Web Dev Help???

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Thu Oct 1 13:44:20 CDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Hassan Schroeder <
hassan.schroeder at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm not particularly familiar with Debian in general -- where would I
> >> find information to confirm that?
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/security/
>
> Thanks. As I thought, woefully out of date (and horribly muddled).

Are you refering to Debian or yourself? ;)

Going the package route is the way to go if just starting out like the OP
is.  It's not that hard to compile from source but that won't make the
change from Windows any easier.  Likely, a lot more people are using
packaged version so bugs are more likely to pop up. Security updates come
automatically -- so if you are not paying attention to every bit of
self-compiled code's email list you are safer.  I get security updates a few
times a week on my Ubuntu desktop.

At work with a number of applications running on dozens of machines you can
imagine the trouble we have keeping up with self compiled apps.  We build
packages, but it's still a task and we manage to break things.  Moving away
form self-compiled apps for this reason and yes giving up newest features
sometimes.  Stability and security are where it's at.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org