[thelist] file type and space analysis on my web server?

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 11:31:51 CDT 2009

> I'm looking for a tool to scan my web server and report on the files
> there.
> I'd like to clean up some space; I know there are loads of files there
> that
> don't need to be, but short of popping into every directory and
> subdirectory, I can't think of a way to see what's taking the most
> space.
> I'd love to list all the files in my hosted space in descending size
> order
> so I can make the biggest kills first.
> I can't come up with a Google search that finds ought but *log* file
> analysis, which is not what I want.
>
> It's Windows shared hosting.
>
> Any suggestions?

If you have access to the Windows desktop, something like TreeSize would
help you:

  http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

If not then you may be stuck with using something like an FTP client to
go through each directory in turn. (Hmmm, someone should make a version
of TreeSize that works over FTP.)

Jason