[thelist] whois and locked

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Tue Oct 6 09:26:50 CDT 2009

I don't know whether this is still true, but a few years ago, I had a domain
name transferred to my client's account from the account of a person who did
the website originally and wasn't interested in continuing. It was unlocked
and then transferred, and it turns out when you do that, the domain name
can't have any changes to it for 6 months! So I couldn't point it to new
hosting servers. We had to choose a new domain name until that one could be
changed. So just a caveat, if this is still true, change the nameservers
before you transfer the domain name.

Nan