[thelist] adjusting for timezones in Oracle

Jeremy Weiss eccentric.one at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 11:06:56 CDT 2009

I've been building some reports that query an Oracle db. Today I
learned that the labor entries are stored in GMT so I need to modify
some of my reports to adjust the time to the appropriate time zone. So
far, all I've found is

TO_CHAR(NEW_TIME( table.column ,'GMT','CST'), 'MM-DD-YY HH24:MI:SS')

which appears to work. But I'm concerned that with this method, the
reports will have to be edited twice a year to account for daylight
savings time (CST to CDT and back).

Anyone know of a way to have the query just pull in timezone of the
server? Or is there some other obvious method that I'm missing?

thanks,
-jeremy