[thelist] Sending Bulk Email

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 13:13:51 CDT 2009

> I have a client who has a list of several thousand emails. He wants to
> send them a one time email, offering his services. AFAIK it's not
> spam, because he will only send it once.

> Even though this whole idea sounds like spam, I personally am willing
> to do this job because I don't think it really will be considered
> spam--the addresses are somewhat targeted and the letter is very
> friendly, basically offering his services if they're interested, and
> if not, they can ignore it.

The fact that he's sending one email rather than a series of them is
irrelevant. The fact that the recipients "can ignore it" is irrelevant.
Every spammer could use that as a justification if they chose to. It's a
commercial mailing, and he's planning to send it to thousands of
addresses of people who have not chosen to receive it.

Unless those people have *specifically* indicated somehow that they
expect to receive mailings like this from him or his associates (e.g. by
signing up for them, or ticking a confirmation box on a registration
form) then it's spam, and likely to be against your local spam / data
protection laws.

If you are happy with how he obtained those email addresses, and also
that those people gave their consent to receive mailings like this, then
fine. If not then I suggest you earn your client dollars by advising him
that he's making a mistake! It will make him look bad. It will make you
look bad. It may get your server blacklisted. Not a good idea.

Jason