[thelist] Sending Bulk Email

Fred Jones fredthejonester at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:04:45 CDT 2009

> If you are happy with how he obtained those email addresses, and also
> that those people gave their consent to receive mailings like this, then
> fine. If not then I suggest you earn your client dollars by advising him
> that he's making a mistake! It will make him look bad. It will make you
> look bad. It may get your server blacklisted. Not a good idea.

OK, this makes sense. No, they didn't give consent. He just paid some
guy in India $10 to scrape them by hand.

But if I use a service like Constant Contact, they also don't allow
this type of spam I think. I recall hearing once that if CC gets a
spam report on an email you send, they fine you $50.

But perhaps if there's an unsubscribe link then it's not spam? I am
now learning more about spam. :)

I think the recipients are probably a friendly type of crowd, but one
never knows--some might well smell that it's spam, especially if
they're an IT person in the company.

Thanks.