[thelist] knowledge of dealing with design work for customers

P Chen info at designbychen.com
Tue Oct 13 17:08:01 CDT 2009

This book is helpful in offering advice on how to structure your contracts
to avoid/prevent freelancer abuse by a client. There are several industries
including web design work.

http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Artists-Guild-Handbook-Guidelines/dp/093210213
1/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255468556&sr=8-3

in addition, I've always found that if you present a single comp to a
client, you'll get a lot of hemming/hawing and change requests. Providing,
say, two different versions, is usually sufficient from which you can then
have the client choose one direction. Then if you build in a maximum round
of edits, say, 2 rounds of edits, once that number has been reached, you're
free to charge additionally for all other edit requests. It's also important
to define the scope to prevent scope creep which inevitably happens. Also,
don't forget to submit an estimated timeline of each milestone (including
each round of edits), and make sure they sign off on it. If you do this, it
helps the client see the timeline and know where they are in the process and
how much is left before the project concludes. I've found that this helps
move most projects along smoothly and in a timely fashion.

-Peter