[thelist] Online Shop with 3rd party provisioning

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:45:03 CDT 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 6:48 AM, Simon MacDonald <simonmacdonald at uk2.net> wrote:
> A client wants me to set up a (UK based) online shop for him. His intention
> is to hold little or no product stock (these are items like baths and
> showers) but to get then delivered direct to the client from the supplier.
>
> I am sure I have seen some issues reading this form of online trading - I've
> tried google but can't come up with anything. Anyone got any advice
> regarding the legality/ethics of doing this?

If you have questions about the legality, you should talk to a local
attorney.

Ethics-wise, does the supplier object? If not, what's the problem?
Multi-tiered distribution is pretty standard. If I can get someone to
pay me $60 for your $50 widget, cool. But then of course I have
to be able to deliver -- see below:

> I may be wrong but something about this makes me twitchy!

Personally it seems like a business model that puts your client at
the mercy of the supplier -- not being in control of the distribution
part of the sale, depending on a third party to accept returns, etc.

That would make *me* twitchy :-)

FWIW,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan