[thelist] A question of semantics and tags

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Oct 20 17:31:00 CDT 2009

I 'm sure the responses will be situationally applicable.  Websites have
many different organizational methods/structure.

With many templates I see a banner with an <h1> tag with either a
business name or logo that links to home.

Then you have columns or modules and main content.  With an <h1> already
in the banner and perhaps an <h2> reserved for a slogan, would you start
another <h1> in the main content?

Launching further, with Joomla and the corePHP blog component, by
default you give the blog a title which of course is enclosed in <h1> tags.

In this scenario you could have something like:

    <h1>business name</h1>
    <h2>slogan</h2>
    <h1>blog title (i.e. Paul's Super Fantastic WebLog)</h1>
    <h2>blog slogan</h2>
    <h1>Smelling like a Rose</h1>
    <h2>Paragraph title, etc</h2>

What I am wondering about of this is a logical structure or even
relevant?  Of course this supposedly talks to SEO as well.

It feels like an unbalanced weighing method.

Bob