[thelist] A question of semantics and tags

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Oct 21 21:25:20 CDT 2009

Paul Bennett wrote:
> I agree Martin,
>
> Think of what happens when someone bookmarks the page based on the
> content they liked and the bookmark only has 'site name'.
>
> IMO, it's much better to have something like:
> 'Page title - page category - site name' for the title and (my
> preference) <h1>Page Title</h1>
>
> Paul
This last bit was a bit confusing.  I believe that only if the title tag
<title>key phrase, key phrase, maybe short company name</title> is empty
that the bots will look into the page body for something useful to
display in search results and as a bookmark.  I've never checked, but it
may even look at meta description first before cruising body content
such as h1, h2, etc.