[thelist] XAMPP not working on Vista

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Tue Oct 27 15:14:46 CDT 2009

It just says:
Starting Apache

But then it never starts.
So wait though, I think I know what is wrong. I added the files to a folder
I created called xampp, and then inside that is the xampp folder with all of
the files,
So user error?

>You can't get to localhost since Apache isn't running. When you try to
start Apache do you get any error messages in the output box below the start

>>I installed XAMPP on my new Vista laptop (I requested the XP downgrade,
but didn't seem to get it.)
>>Anyway, it doesn't work. I can't go to http://localhost, or the ip address, I get that it isn't found.
>>And I can't start Apache from the XAMPP program window, which actually
does show up on the task bar.
>>I did read their note about Vista:
>>Vista Note:
>>Because of missing or insufficient write permissions in "C:\Program
Files", we recommend to use alternate folder for XAMPP ("C:\xampp" or