[thelist] testing older verions of IE for css (was css menu problem)

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Fri Oct 30 10:46:30 CDT 2009

Barney Carroll wrote:
> No way. IE6 is still has a regrettably significant market share and requires
> testing for responsible universal web design.  IE5.5 can go (and for the
> most part has gone) to hell.
>
> I work with firebug and like to keep all the CSS for any given element in
> one place and one rule where possible, so I use hacked CSS per-property, eg:
>
> selector {
> property: regular value;
> _property: ie6 value;
>  *property: ie7+ value;
> }

Barney could you expand on this?  I currently use either an IE if
statement with the CSS in the header if it is really minimal, one or two
lines - and if larger, an IF statement that includes an IE specific
stylesheet, such as ie6.css.  Anything that is more efficient works for
me, ideally I would "dump" all the IE stuff into a single stylesheet
along with  the IF/ELSE stuff as well.  -Bob