[thelist] To have an SSL Certificate or Not?

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Tue Dec 1 15:44:46 CST 2009

> Your customers no longer need to register with PayPal to buy things from
> (or donate to) your website.
>
> For a few years now, you can use either the simple PayPal "buy now" (we
> use "Donate now" on evolt.org) buttons, or their more advanced API's and
> your customers do need to have, and do not need to create, a PayPal
> account to complete the sale, and so they also don't have to do the
> "associate the credit card" or "link the checking account" steps that
> used to put people off so badly.  Buyers can just do regular
> "drive-by-payments" with their credit cards just like on any other
> shopping cart or merchant account.

David, this is great and yeah I think this illustrates the general
problem, perception or not.  Unless you as a developer/designer do
regular work with systems like this you may not be in the know. I've had
my PayPal account for maybe 4 years, not sure, so I guess then I qualify
as old-timer and  have the registration process ingrained in memory.
Then along came the business account and 2 deposits yadda yadda.

It's not like we routinely zap our historic accounts then test out the
new process as we're sitting alongside a client.

Just a bit of morph memory time - I celebrated the day I got my paypal
account linked to ebay business.  The walls crashed when I moved,
physical addresses.  eBay and the verification process was true horror -
an hour in a chat session got that fixed - for a week only. This made
PayPal look like a sweetheart by comparison.