[thelist] Email Newsletters and Stylesheets

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sun Dec 6 20:53:45 CST 2009

Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Kirk Roberts Design
> <business at kirkrobertsdesign.com> wrote:
>

>> By the same idea, you can code your emails using xhtml if you want, but
>> certain readers might not like it.
>> Why not cater to the lowest common denominator and be safe?
>>

> Because I haven't seen any issues with using XHTML and it makes
> my life easier -- do you have any references to problems?

This is good information.  Just to make sure I've been clear the problem
I'm working through is a technical one, not process.  The only reason I
made reference to MailChimp & co is because they have experience in
sorting through the tech/coding stuff, and presumably, have reasonably
workable solutions.

Once I have this sorted out what I may do is set up a test list and
solicit folks to join, then send a newsletter and get feedback.  The
primary reason I prefer not to employ services like Campaign Manager,
MailChimp, etc is because you lose control of the data and/or encounter
some administrative time, not money.  If I am also employing
registration systems, perhaps donations, etc I would rather keep the
data centralized than have to potentially go through some import/export
process and sync memberships, whatever...

Lowest Common Denominator - this is the goal -  and - now I know what
LCD really means!  Hah.

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Standards - you gotta love em with so many to choose from!
Rocket Science - the Art of Managing Distractions