[thelist] Hosting?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Wed Dec 9 04:29:36 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 07:45 +0000, Martin Burns wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2009, at 03:32, Matt Warden wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Shawn K. Quinn wrote:
> >> Nearlyfreespeech.net handles every one of these but the e-mail hosting.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > The pricing model is ideal if you have a small site.
>
> ...and are really, really confident that you're not going to get linked
>  from anywhere popular.
>
> Non-capped variable cost contracts that don't have natural limits are
>  *the* most risky for the buyer.

According to the FAQ, even getting slashdotted or dug only cost,
maximum, about $10 for bandwidth. One gigabyte is quite a bit of traffic.

As a rule I would not put large files (in excess of, say 25M) on an NFSN
site, or host anything that's excessively image/bandwidth intensive
there. And if you only deposit $5, $10, etc. per month, that *is* a cap
of sorts (the site will be offline for part of the month if you go
over).

For some sites, the bigger risk is whether or not the hosting provider
will decide to shut the site down by twisting the AUP/TOS to allow it.
NFSN doesn't do that unless you actually break the law.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>