[thelist] Multi-language site structure

Meshack meshack at hrts.org
Tue Dec 22 12:30:06 CST 2009

Hey all,

Somewhat new to this list. I'm hoping to get some quick advice.

So I'm working on a site that will be in multiple languages and I'm debating
how best to structure the site. My initial thought is to have a web
directory for each language, and repeat the content in each directory. For
example:

/English

            /index.html

            /page1.html

            /page2.html

/Spanish

            /index.html

            /page1.html

            /page2.html

My thoughts are that this allows for better SEO results, I can optimize the
page names, images, links, etc. for each language. BUT. it's not the most
efficient solution. I will have double the storage and can't necessarily
take advantage of things like page caching (if I rename the images in the
alternate languages).

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have any other approaches to
multi-language sites?

Thanks!

Meshack Vallesillas