[thelist] Newbie with First Ubuntu Server

Todd Richards todd at promisingsites.com
Tue Jan 12 09:27:53 CST 2010

Thanks Raoul -

Yes, for now PHP sites with MySQL backend.  I do not believe that I installed a mail server yet because I actually operate a Windows mail server separate from my web server(s) that I use to send mail through (even for my websites).  If that's not ideal for this scenario, however, then I can install Postfix.

Sorry, I did  mean "root" (rather than "rooter").  I do have a GUI installed but thus far have been using the command line while following instructions.  I have to admit it's not bad (as long as there is something to follow - you can't just hunt and peck to find stuff).  But again, compared to Windows it seems like a much more tedious process.  If that's true, then fine.  But I have a feeling there is so much "basics" out there, and I don't even know how to start looking.

For instance, when I set up a new site in Windows, I:
- Create the folder location for the website
- Set up the site in IIS, pointing to the correct location for the site and log files
- Set up an FTP account
- Set up a database in MS SQL Server (if needed)

Is the process kind of the same in Linux?  Are there any scripts or anything out there to facilitate this?  If I start hosting several sites, what is the best way to manage them?  Is there a "Tips and Tricks" sheet to this, or a "What the books didn't tell you" site?  :)

I'm not trying to cheat and not do thing the right way (and understand them along the way), I just want to make sure I AM doing things the right - and most efficient way possible.

Todd