[thelist] Email Newsletters and Stylesheets

Sarah Adams sarahwbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:13:56 CST 2010

> What I am seeing is that the newsletter WYSIWYG program which works with
> a simple approach is overwhelmed and seems to lose track of how to undo,
> where undo begins/ends.  When I switch to code view I see "apple"
> specific font stuff, strings of <i> or <br> which the editor does not
> even use.  This makes me think it is coming from copy/paste.

My clients are under *strict* instructions never *ever* to paste
anything into a WYSIWYG editor from Word, HTML, etc. Only *ever* from
plain text. You get cruft like this in the background that does untold
things to your presentation, and worse, it tends to multiply in the
background each time the content is saved. I've seen it get so bad that
the WYSIWYG editor couldn't handle the crufty HTML anymore and either
wouldn't load at all or crashed the browser completely. Not pretty.

(Now if only my clients actually *followed* said instructions, I'd spend
a lot less time trying to decruftify HTML, and my life would be a lot
simpler.)

--
sarah adams
web developer & programmer