[thelist] network/performance diagnostic procedures

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Fri Feb 12 11:44:54 CST 2010

Hi John,

Gersten, John wrote:
> I'd throw in a tip as further mea culpa, but the only tip I know is one
> my dad was fond of spouting whenever he felt it was even marginally
> appropriate: "don't bet the ponies."
>
> We never owned any ponies; I'm still trying to figure out what the hell
> he meant.

Having known a person with a serious lifelong gambling problem involving
horse racing, I'm guessing your father was wisely advising folks not to
gamble ...would be my "bet" :-)

-dave, wondering why the meaning of the term "bet the farm" is so
different from "bet the ponies" (and, for that matter, "buying the farm"!).