[thelist] Viability of Wordpress Sites for clients

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Tue Feb 23 23:23:10 CST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:49:39 -0800 (PST), Administrative HQ wrote:
> Any opinions, experiences, advice.

I do similar to you, but I don't use Wordpress, I use Drupal (an open
source CMS). My main concern when it comes to Wordpress is the high number
of security flaws.

There seems to be a large number of security-related updates (and even one
that they thought they had fixed, but they hadn't, so they had to release
*another* update) in a short space of time. If I contrast that with Drupal,
the current stable version of Drupal (6.x) has had 15 updates in the last 2
years, and 8 out of those 15 were actual security updates.

Also, while I haven't experienced it, I know a number of folks who don't
like to upgrade their Wordpress installations because half their plugins
seems to break when they do an upgrade. Like you mentioned, there seem to
be a number of poorly written and poorly maintained plugins, which can
cause hassles when upgrading. In contrast with Drupal, which I have never
had any issues with modules when doing minor version upgrades.

So, while I think the idea bears much merit (there are plenty of folks
doing it), I personally would rather go with Drupal, as it seems to be a
more secure and easier to maintain system.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/