[thelist] Computer-aided translations

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 18:18:49 CST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> Anyone have experience with computer-aided translation systems?  We have a
> web site and are working with multiple translators (passing around
> spreadsheets).  It's a headache trying to manage and maintain all the
> resulting .po files.  We tried using Pootle will little success.  Just
> curious what other approaches others are using.

Well, particularly I find it annoying to use .po files. I store
translations in the DB.
My fields are: english; portuguese; french; chinese; spanish
So in my code I have i18n('apple'), and inside i18n() I handle it
based on a global target_language variable.
My userbase is small and so are the screens, so this is okay.
For the future, however, I plan on having a relationship where I can:
select portuguese from translations where screen='sales'
Naturally one translation could be used in many screens, so I'd have a
middle one to make the appropriate relationship, but that's roughly
it.

Just my -$0.02

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz