[thelist] [thechat] Jaspersoft BI Toolset?

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Fri Mar 12 18:46:28 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 17:39 +0000, Luther, Ron wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> Anybody have any experience with Jaspersoft?  It appears to be an open
> source suite of BI, ETL, and reporting applications.
>
> I'm thinking of taking it for a spin.  Just wondering if anyone had
> anything positive or negative to say about it.

I took a look at their website. What they are doing is a travesty to the
free software movement and exactly the reason I advocate not using the
term "open source" which is ambiguous and confusing.

The entire point of free software solutions is not having to pay
licensing fees. I condemn Jaspersoft's use of a GPL crippleware version
to promote a proprietary-licensed (i.e. non-free) "enterprise version"
of the same software. Jaspersoft may think they "get it" when it comes
to "open source" but they do NOT get it when it comes to free software.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>