[thelist] best way to display lots of photos

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 22:29:53 CDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM, Birdie <bird at koolfish.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a lot of old client sites (7 years+ !) up for total redesign.
> These are sites like holiday villas which want to display a good gallery of
> what their accomodation looks like.
>
> These old sites used thumbnails that linked to larger pictures or dhtml
> slide shows. But now we need a more elegant solution and one that complies
> with recent standards.
>
> I'm looking for opinions on the best way to accomplish showing a lot of
> photos on such a site, but avoid it being a photo album.
> I don't want to use flash and want a solution where people can control what
> they see, not just an automatic slideshow.
>
> Is it good practice to still display small thumbnails so people can choose
> what they view?
>
> I would love to see example sites and any links to software that we could
> use. I've been out of the web game a while and now its time to upgrade!
>
> Our website is hosted on a linux server so we can not use anything .asp or
> .net.
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.
>
> Lisa

I tend to show a few slides (about 4 images, say), and then offer them the
option to view the rest to keep down initial overhead. I also tend to merge
the four together on the fly to help cut down on overhead just a little bit
more.

Realtor.com I think does something like that. Not sure if they do the
merging.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com