[thelist] blacklists and hotmail or comcast

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Mon Mar 22 10:52:57 CDT 2010

Joel D Canfield wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz
> <mailto:bobm at dottedi.biz>> wrote:
>
>     The elder 38,000 never got the opportunity to opt-in as the
>     newsletter checkbox didn't exist for them. In the db they are
>     "NULL".  They never got the opportunity to sign up, so I feel that
>     this is technically SPAM to contact them.
>

> My definition of 'not spam' is whether the communique is personal,
> anticipated, and relevant. They're all somewhat subjective. Most folks
> know that a mass mailing isn't eminently personal, but if the intent
> is to make a connection, not a sale, it can feel more personal. If
> they've ever done business with these folks, legally, communication is
> 'anticipated', and practically, it is, to some extent. If it is really
> believed that this information would also be relevant, it meets my
> personal definition.
>
> Of course, the criterion is really, will the recipient think it's
> spam? Educated guess time. Risk/reward analysis. Allow ethics and
> professionalism to outweigh profit, and someone will make the right
> choice.
>
> Good communication with whoever is delivering these emails is probably
> vital. If the ISP or whoever is on board with this, or at least aware
> of it, nobody's likely to lose their services over it.
>
> joel
Okay - process and risk aside, the VPS hosting package does not have
hourly or daily limits as would a shared hosting account (500/hr at
HG).  That being said, be it 52000 (to the subscribed YES  group) or
38000 to the NULLies, this will push the server.  Any opinion on a
throttling option to keep the server happy and perhaps reduce the list
of getting labeled a spammer by hotmail, yahoo, comcast, etc just
because they can?  Is it frequency that triggers them or other?

Some options:

1) 1 sec delay between individual messages (14+ hours)
2) 60 messages per batch and 1 minute between batches
3) your thoughts?

-B