[thelist] PEAR vs PHP

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Fri May 14 06:41:29 CDT 2010

Hi
    I am currently looking for a new job having quit my last one, and to
make myself more employable I have been spending my time learning PHP
from an O'Reilly book. I have downloaded and installed WAMP but the
problem I am having is that the book uses PEAR to connect to the
database, but  PHP 5 doesn't seem to be able to do this. I have never
used PHP in a commercial job so I would like your opinion about what to
do next, and my question is...

Is PEAR used a lot commercially or is standard PHP used instead?

I just need to know whether to try to get an earlier version of PHP
working and learn PEAR, or not bother and use what I have already.

TIA

--
Kevin Stevens
http://www.ratking.co.uk