[thelist] PEAR vs PHP

Jack Timmons jorachim at gmail.com
Fri May 14 06:50:27 CDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Kevin Stevens <kjs at ratking.co.uk> wrote:
>  I have downloaded and installed WAMP but the problem I am
> having is that the book uses PEAR to connect to the database, but  PHP 5
> doesn't seem to be able to do this.

First, just to be sure you know, PEAR is just extensions for PHP.

PHP can connect to a respectable range of databases natively using a
variety of methods. There's mysql_connect, mssql_connect, pg_connect,
sqlite_open, the PDO object, etc.

> I have never used PHP in a commercial
> job so I would like your opinion about what to do next, and my question
> is...
>
> Is PEAR used a lot commercially or is standard PHP used instead?

We don't use any PEAR modules, simply because I'm paranoid and don't
trust anything I didn't code, and only a quarter of what I do. Never
had a need, nor has PEAR ever been brought up. I can't say for
"larger" development groups, but for a small 3-5 person team...

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com