[thelist] YouTube type videos

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 12:14:20 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Fred Jones <fredthejonester at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Be it YouTube or some other service, what is the general consensus of
>> embeding YouTube videos on the home page of a supposedly quality-styled
>> website? I tend to resist, but commonly get harrassed into making it happen.
>>  Placing them and similar in blog entries is fine by me, but I'm not
>> enthused about the home page. -Bob
>
> What's the difference? We did a site where the owner wanted that, so
> we did it. I don't see why not.

Agree. Not only do you get YouTube to host your video and provide the
bandwidth, but you also get to leverage their social features that can
provide an additional source of traffic that finds your video content.

If it's a public video, I say: why not use YouTube

(Of course, keep a copy of the source video and produced video
somewhere safe internally. And if you're really paranoid about relying
on YouTube being available, then provide a "Can't see the above video?
Click here" link that takes them to a locally hosted version.)

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA