[thelist] ajax dynamic dropdown menu set

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 15:29:02 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:
> I've just started working on setting up an ajax dropdown menu set using data
> coming from a mysql table.  I got the code off
> http://www.plus2net.com/php_tutorial/dd3.php.  Their demo works perfectly.
>  When you click submit the output test shows the 3 values selected for cat,
> subcat and subcat3.

Uh, well. There's no "AJAX" going on in that demo -- it's just submitting
the values each time you change a SELECT's value. Use Firebug to
check the network traffic.

> Second problem) Rather than treating it like ajax

See #1  :-)

I'm not familiar with mootools -- is that a requirement for your project?
If so, I'm sure there's a library function to make AJAX requests easier
(and unobtrusive).

Also, the test page has an entire HTML document inside a table cell (!)
which probably isn't intentional -- e.g.

 <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 3.2//en">
 <head>
 <title>Demo of Three Multiple drop down list box from plus2net</title>

That won't be helping any JS-related development or troubleshooting!

HTH,
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan