[thelist] AJAX - expose a div with radio buttons, select & submit/save to mysql

Hugh Miller hmiller at cfpress.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 03:02:51 CDT 2010

Bob says:
Where am I off course?

Demo: http://dottedi.biz/code/ajax/test/
---------------------------------------
Hi Bob,

The solution to both problems you mention are the same. Pass the value
you want explicitly into the function.

Problem 1: The spec for anchors does not contain a value="" as it does
on forms (the href becomes the 'value' of this element).

Problem 2: The value of a button is what is displayed as user
instruction. Simple fix is the same as 1.

Solution onclick="getRating(X)" where X is the value you want to pass.
Assuming the final page will be dynamic this shouldn't be a problem to
maintain going forward. Remove any reference in the anchors to value="X"
as it is meaningless.

There's other tag attributes you could use instead (like title="X", but
I think passing the value in the onClick is semantically more meaningful).

The buttons could be forced to display a value + your own preferred text
(using <label>'s and some CSS flummery, but since the functionality of
buttons is partly to instruct the user I'd say just use a value that
makes sense and use the onclick method to control the action.
Semantically these should probably be <input type="button"> rather than
"submit" for these three items.

Hope this helps!

--
Hugh Miller