[thelist] Current recommendation for doctype and <html> tags.

Lee Kowalkowski lee.kowalkowski at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 1 11:02:25 CDT 2010

On 01/09/2010, Bill Moseley <moseley at hank.org> wrote:
> talking to a designer yesterday they said that the current
> recommendation is to just us <html> and a reduced html5 doctype.
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> We don't support older browsers so I'm wondering what issues I need to be
> aware of.

Well, HTML5 isn't a recommendation yet, but most of the spec is
written with backwards compatability in mind - the reduced doctype was
chosen because it still triggers "standards" mode in the older
browsers.

And I'm pretty sure you ought to keep the language attribute on the
HTML tag e.g. <html lang="en">.

--
Lee
www.webdeavour.co.uk