[thelist] Customer requirements: simple?

Barney Carroll barney.carroll at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 05:23:13 CDT 2010

If you're self-employed or running a business, you may not have the
luxurious option of turning away naive, condescending, or cheapskate
clients. There's plenty of open cynicism in the world of web for
nightmare clients who continuously patronise the crafts of
hard-working and sincere professionals, but without them, there would
not be enough clients to go around. I'd certainly be a lot poorer
without them.

At the same time, a polite and sincere response can often nip that
attitude in the bud. If you quietly announce that you're not in the
habit of making things unnecessarily elaborate or complicated, but
will deliver to budget if it appears reasonable, you get human dignity
on your side — any further insidious remarks by said client along the
lines of "cheaper, faster, stupider, worse", provided the initial
terms weren't ludicrous, can then be rightfully responded to as a
crude insults to your professional integrity :) (smiley not intended
to diminish utter seriousness of preceding statement).

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carroll at gmail.com
07594 506 381