[thelist] responsiveness from "the coffee shop"

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 13:38:42 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Barney Carroll
<barney.carroll at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't agree with the notion that there is now a de facto tacit agreement with the client that whatever web solution they ask for will be provided as a mobile-optimised web site.

Whoa, wait. I think we're conflating issues here. :-)

I just think "coffee shop wifi" is a standard work environment today, and
it's unreasonable to suggest that a client shouldn't expect her/his site to
work properly there, or should pay more for the privilege. Sure, there's
bound to be specific places with connectivity issues, but that's another
kettle of fish entirely.

> I do not assume that my client wants something which behaves equally
> well on a 120-px-wide WAP device i

They still make WAP devices?? OK, so possibly a US-centric view
but when I think mobile web, the context is definitely smartphones
with good-sized screens (iPhone, Android) and modern browsers.

> Mobile web app development is no joke, and it's not a given in any
> web dev project either.

No, not a given, but the "mobile-first" article I referenced is as much
about design focus as platform. Which totally makes sense to me :-)

And to your earlier question, yes, the increasing number of capable
smartphones and tablets/pads out there will push developers to be
more mobile-centric by default. IMO.

Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
twitter: @hassan